Sunday, March 24, 2013

Simply Authentic...your soul voice is calling. I Am Not Impatient

I Am Not Impatient

I wrote in a previous post how important I believe it is to embrace the positive attributes others see in us that we may not see in ourselves.

I don’t know about you, but me – while I can be endlessly patient about the big scheme of life and trust in the guidance I receive – I can think little day to day things simply cannot happen fast enough for my satisfaction. I found myself becoming irritated right now when a lid I was trying to unscrew did not want to unscrew. “I don’t have time for this” mentality.

It reminded me of this time years ago when my ex-husband and I went on a camping trip and stopped at a drive-in to order lunch on the go from a fast food restaurant. We were hungry, the line of cars ahead of us was long, and seemed to be moving slower than it takes those old, unused, abandoned barns in South Dakota to finally fall apart and crumble to the ground.


(I’m guessing here, but I think that could be somewhere around four generations worth of time.) Jeff said, “Don’t be so impatient,” or something along those lines. My response? “I’m NOT impatient. I just hate to wait!”

Thankfully, then I immediately began laughing at myself, and him along with me. What kind of an oxymoronic phrase is that? I’m not impatient; I just hate to wait. Ahem.

You can’t make the bread dough rise any faster. (Unless of course you’re that person who invented quick-rise yeast. If you are that person, I love you and want you to come over so I can hug and kiss you, and feed you tea and bread – if I ever have the time to make it again.)

Impatience is not going to make the line move any faster, certainly not when you’re honking and flipping people the finger bird! (I don’t do that, seriously.)  


Authenticity requires embracing all the positive attributes you possess, along with all your growth areas. We all have them. Probably even the Dalai Lama. Although I don’t expect to be inviting His Holiness over for tea and bread any time soon. (And not just because I would have absolutely no idea what to wear.)

Sometimes I need to remind myself of my three step theory, when in a situation that makes me uncomfortable, impatient, etc. And that is exactly what I will be writing about in the next blog post.

Are you impatient? What growth areas would you like to explore?

There must be more to life than increasing its speed. –Mahatma Ghandi

Authentically Yours, Laura



No comments:

Post a Comment