Sunday, June 22, 2014

Simply Authentic...Your Soul Voice is Calling. Some Authentically Good Recipes

Some Authentically Good Recipes

I recently received an invitation for an e-mail recipe exchange. I care about the person who sent it and wanted to respond, while knowing it would be challenging to find 20 people willing to take the time to share a recipe. I thought about just ignoring it, but to ignore anything from someone I love feels less than authentic.

It had been a challenging day at the office when the invitation came in. I stayed late without having moved my undone tasks to the next calendar day. I wanted to go to the gym before my 5:45 chiropractic appointment. I reallllly needed an adjustment, and I don't mean just in my spine. Doc Harrington did a great job getting my spine adjusted in more places than ever needed before. It took longer to adjust my mental state.

Writing down these recipes and passing them along to my friend, while declining to participate in the recipe exchange, helped. I hope you enjoy them.


Robert Duvall's Mother's Crab Cakes (from Oprah)


-1 lb crab meat

-2 heaping TBSP mayo

-2 eggs, lightly beaten

-1/2 tsp Worcestershire sauce (my "secret ingredient" for everything from meat marinade for grilling to sloppy joes to baked beans)

-1/2 tsp cayenne pepper

-1/4 tsp salt

-1/2 small onion, grated (don't try and dice or food process it - grate it)

-1/2 TBSP mustard powder

-18 Ritz crackers, crumbled

 

***See possible additional ingredients below.

 

Combine all ingredients except the crackers. Add cracker crumbs as close to sautéing as possible so they don't get too moist.

 

Form into desired size patties. Sauté in butter (oil isn't going to work) on medium to high heat (turning it down low isn't going to work) 10 minutes per side. Crab cakes should be crispy outside and moist and juicy inside.

 

Easy tarter sauce: mayo, grated onion, lemon juice, and maybe some sweet pickle relish.

 

***I have to add these suggested ingredients after having my friend Chris Kyle's crab cakes, while I haven't made crab cakes myself since: Red bell pepper, fresh basil, fresh lemon juice, hot sauce. The basil especially added a fresh flavor I just loved. I'm guessing cilantro might work, too. Chris serves his crab cakes with a fresh rosemary aioli sauce.

 

Kale Smoothie

 

I recently purchased a Vitamix and am now making my own smoothies. Here's one of my favorites so far. I love the fresh, green taste and all the nutrients I am getting in a glass. I have added banana, strawberries...really, I think you could add just about anything in the fruit or veggie arena and it would work fine. (Maybe not tomatoes, but I might try that too!!)

 

-1/2 apple

-2 C kale leaves

-1 C spinach

-Fat free vanilla yogurt to put in the bottom

-1 TBSP ground flax seeds or flax seed oil

-1 C ice on top

 

Blend until smooth.

 

Fresh Corn Succotash (no lima beans!)

 

I Googled a recipe for corn succotash after falling in love with the dish at The Cheesecake Factory. (It comes with their spicy chicken tenders called "littles", along with amazing garlic mashed potatoes.)

 

-Kernels cut from four ears of corn

-1 red bell pepper, cut into fine half inch strips

-1 yellow bell pepper, cut into fine half inch strips

-1/2 onion, diced

-2 cloves garlic, finely chopped

-1 TBSP fresh thyme leaves

-1 TBSP fresh bay leaves, chopped

-About 1/8 C olive oil

-About 1 1/2 TBSP butter

-Salt & pepper

 

In a large skillet, heat oil and butter over medium high heat. Add garlic and onion, cook until translucent, about four minutes. Add the corn and bell peppers, season with salt and pepper, and cook, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables are just tender, about 10 minutes. Add the herbs a minute or two before the veggies are done.

 

Potatoes Deluxe

 

Now for something truly fattening, not healthy, and really good and always a hit with dinner guests...

 

-2 lb. bag frozen hash brown potatoes, thawed

-1 C diced onion

-16 oz. sour cream

-1 can cream soup (chicken or celery for vegetarian)

-1/2 C butter, melted

-8 oz. shredded cheese

-Salt & pepper or other seasonings to taste

-Crushed potato chips (1 C) for topping

 

In large bowl combine all ingredients except for topping. Spread into 9x13 cake size pan, top with crushed potatoes chips. Bake at 350 for about 45 minutes.

 

And two last tips: for either chicken salad or tuna salad (the kind made with mayo to spread on sandwiches or tortillas)...add some diced jalapenos (I'm talking pickled from a jar, not fresh in this case), shredded cheese, and in the case of tuna salad, two boiled eggs, diced with one of those wonderful egg slicers that cost like three ninety nine at your local store.

 

Enjoy cooking, putting love into the food, and eating with loving appreciation!!

 

Authentically Yours,

 

Laura

No comments:

Post a Comment