Sunday, December 30, 2012

Simply Authentic...your soul voice is calling. Authenticity in the Office

Authenticity in the Office

I had a conversation on Christmas day with three people who have experienced what I would call “inauthenticity” in the office.

One said at her office the cubicles are no longer to be referred to as that. They must be called “productivity pods.”
 
 
The second said that the audit in her office had become SO picky (How picky was it?, you may ask?) as to require the sixth page of a bank statement (the same bank they work for) on which was printed, “This page left intentionally blank.”

The third shared something about an attorney she is working with on a big account, requiring language for a simple notice of acceptance that could be simply left knee contusion, yet required something like the anterior aspect of the left tibial plateau and perhaps several other large words.

Utter ridiculousness. We agreed these mandates seem to be coming from parties that either 1) have way too much time on their hands or 2) strongly need to prove their own value. We did get a good laugh over the whole conversation.


Yet we can remain authentic in the midst of the ridiculousness, by recognizing it, breathing, and saying this lovely Ho'oponopono prayer: I love you, I am sorry, please forgive me, thank you. It works even if you don’t mean it! Our souls recognize the message. It’s very powerful.

Happy New Year!

Authentically Yours, Laura

4 comments:

  1. I don't have a pod or a cubical, I sometimes have a small spot at a table, sometimes I have a chair, sometimes I have bed table (like they have in hospitals). I get told by the nursing staff they get priority, well, because they are nurses, as though it's about the prestige that comes with the title or something. My employer doesn't trust our abilities so they micromanage EVERYTHING, right down to phrases we use in sentences. My job is so micromanaged it takes an hour or longer to write a billing note that should only take ten minutes. Why so long? Because I have to find a way to string their word and phrase choices into coherent sentences that also reflect the session I've had with the client. If my employer would trust me to do my job and trust me to write the billing notes intelligently, no only would I meet my billing quota each day, but I would exceed it. I would also be able to have more effective sessions with my clients. Of course, my employer doesn't understand they box their employees in and stifle their growth and any real success we could have with clients. It's really sad. It's all very counter intuitive. My supervisor will randomly pick a client, have me make introductions, and then I'll be unceremoniously dismissed. Why? Well, my boss is asked a slew of questions of client to verify the billing time is correct, and to verify I've actually met with the client and have actually rendered the particular services the note claims I did. Now keep in mind, they are asking specific information of individuals who suffer from Dementia and Alzheimer's Disease...like they are really going to remember all those details, if any. Well, I guess this kind of turned into a rant, didn't it? I love you, I am sorry, please forgive me, thank you. Somehow I don't think this Ho'oponopono prayer will go over well with my boss when he's raking me over the coals. I got the last raking on Friday afternoon, can you tell? LOL

    Love Ya!

    ReplyDelete
  2. One thing I did not say, that I really wanted to say in the above post is: When an employer micromanages employees, management stifles their employees' ability to be authentic. Mental health clients respond best to authenticity from the service provider. This drive for greater productivity has reached the point of ridiculousness and is now counter-productive. Dragging a computer into a client's room and typing while that client has a session does NOT build trust, yet this is exactly what I've been told to do. It's also very difficult to literally balance a computer on my knee, type, and assist or participate in an activity with a client designed to improve their cognition or motor skills. Sometimes the computer is not on my knee, it's laying across my left arm because I have no chair...because I'm not a priority. The companies that experience the highest amount and quality productivity are usually companies that put their employees first, or at least consider them equal to the client and are given equal consideration and treatment as the client. But, this is now an employer's market, which makes for very poor work environments. I'm going to continue reading "The Secret" to see if I can get my thoughts flowing in a more positive direction. I know my personal work environment and what's required of me will not change, so it's up to me to change my thoughts and feelings about it. Think it. Feel it. Attract it. I know when I'm in that mindset my clients are happiest, and so am I.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bell, you say the prayer internally, not outloud. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for sharing the frustration so many people experience!

    ReplyDelete