Sunday, December 16, 2012

Simply Authentic...your soul voice is calling: Get Out of Your Own Way!

Get out of your own way!

For those of you who don’t know, I’m in a relatively new, passionate and unconditionally loving relationship with a man named George. G said something I want to share with you. He said it more amuzingly, but neither of us can remember his exact verbiage, so this is paraphrased. "It seems to me this relationship has a life of it's own, and it's creating itself despite us." And then later that day, "I've noticed as long as I get out of my own way, our relationship unfolds naturally without my having to do anything." Or something like that.

It just struck me what an awesome metaphor this is not just for my relationship with G, but life. Just get out of our own frickin’ way! Know what I'm saying? I know you do!!! We create our own problems, so just stop already!

G and I both shared how we have tendencies to offer help, compliments, assistance, etc., way more easily than we accept them.

Two examples: G has offered before to feed my cats. In the morning, especially, this requires sweeping up all the kitty litter that has been kicked on the kitchen floor, 'cause you really don't want to step on that and track it around. Once he offered the third time I took him up on it.

And then it dawned on me. "You just gave me three extra minutes to read!" I grabbed a cup of tea and went back to bed, reading for more like five minutes. I keep inspirational, spiritual reading materials on the dresser by my bed - almost done with both Richard Bach's RUNNING FROM SAFETY and Don Miguel Ruiz' THE VOICE OF KNOWLEDGE. OMG, what a start to my work week!

So, G took my offer of the travel pillow and blow-dryer when he traveled recently, but when I offered to water plants, pick up his mail, maybe do some light cleaning before he got back, his answer was - of course - no. (He lives a one minute walk from me.) Then he re-thought it, and said, "Of course. If that is something you would like to do, I would be grateful." Getting the art of receiving. We both are.
 
 
The art of authenticity requires allowing yourself to receive, with sincere gratitude in your heart.

Have fun receiving – not just this holiday season – but all throughout the year. Notice what you are receiving – really pay attention to all the wonderful things you are given. A smile, someone waving you over in heavy traffic, an expected note or card. With all of the violence in the world, it can be a very good thing to simply remember where, when, how and from whom we are so incredibly blessed.

Authentically Yours, Laura


2 comments:

  1. Laura, I love the new direction of your blog! Getting out of the way is hard, and receiving is hard! Everyone wanted a Christmas list from me this year, I only had one thing on it! Every year it's pretty much the same thing, unless I send links to used/inexpensive books I've found on Amazon. I know it frustrates everyone and makes them feel cheap--it cheapens their gift giving experience! I just got that, thanks to your blog. I know it's not just a Christmas thing, it's an all year long, lifetime thing and I need to make a change. I love the experience of giving and surprising, and making others happy, and I really need to make it possible for others to do the same for me.

    Thank You Laura, and thank you George!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bell, thank you for the courage to post! This is such a wonderful understanding. :) George applauds you, too.

    ReplyDelete