Sunday, November 18, 2012

Simply Authentic...your soul voice is calling. Authenticity. Four Questions: Gina Williams


What Does Authenticity Mean? Four Questions

The world needs dreamers and the world needs doers. But above all, the world needs dreamers who do. –Sarah Ban Breathnach

I asked Gina Williams four questions about what authenticity means to her. Gina is a writer, photographer and communications professional. She works by day as Public Affairs Director for the Oregon Business Association and enjoys a creative life as well, as a poet and photographer.

 
Gina then. :)  

 
The questions I asked are:

 
1. First, try and sum you up in about three sentences, if you feel you have a calling, that kind of thing.

 
2. What does living an authentic life mean to you? Where in your life do you feel the most authentic? The least?

 
3. Can you describe a situation you have experienced wherein you felt you were being asked to be less or different than who you authentically are? How did you respond? Do you have suggestions for others who may find themselves in a similar situation?

 
4. If you were to go back to, say, 13 year old Gina right now, and tell her what you wished someone would have told her or that she would have already embraced (maybe she already had) at that age, what would it be?

 

1.       I can best describe myself as a hard-working free spirit, artist, mom, communications professional & professional goof-off with a zest for life. There is a saying that I love: “Be a human doing, not a human being.” That pretty much sums up my life philosophy. I am married to an amazing and talented man who is also an artist who gives me the freedom to follow my dreams. I am the proud mom of two incredible teenage sons who are the loves of my life. I write sentences for a living and write poetry and fiction in order to fully live.  I love to play with my camera, ride my bicycle, run, roller skate & explore this amazing planet as much as possible.

 

2.       Living an authentic life, to me, means never giving up on dreams – not the outrageous ones, not the tiny ones. Living authentically means being honest with myself and others about the fact that I am a complex person, as most of us are, but none of us should settle, ever. Living authentically means being proud of things that others might not approve of or understand and living large, in spite of societal pressures. Living authentically means helping others achieve their dreams, as well. As for the least authentic part of my life, I suppose that would be giving in to fear or anxiety occasionally.  I can slip into “worst case scenario” mode at times. (I can hear my husband laughing right now). The disruption in positivity caused by my own fretting can be extremely frustrating.

 

3.       I’m not sure if I have ever been “asked” to be less or different than who I authentically am, but I have felt disrespected and caged in the past. I handled that difficult time by looking deeply within my soul and examining my goals and dreams from top to bottom, inside and out. I concluded that art will always be a hugely important part of my life – as critical to my survival as oxygen. Without it, I am broken. The fact that some people haven’t agreed and/or do not agree with this, I finally realized, was not my problem. Once I accepted the very real need that I have to nurture the creative spirit that I’ve had since I can remember, my wings grew back and I’ve never been happier. As for advice, I would tell people that they already know themselves and to honest with about what gives their life meaning. I would also tell people not to take themselves or others too seriously and have fun! Don’t let shame or fear dictate the direction of your life. Say yes more than you say no.

 

4.       If I could go back and speak to my 13-year-old self, I would tell her that I am proud of her, then and now.  I would tell her to never, ever let society, family or anyone else dictate the course of her dreams. But I also don’t believe in regret and although I have had some difficult times, even painful and soul-sick times as many of us have had, I wouldn’t change a thing. I would just give my young self a big hug and tell her to listen to that voice in her head that says, “fly, fly” and keep on, keeping on because the future is going to be amazing. I would tell her that yes, there will be some dark days, but in spite of life’s arrows, she will never lose her childlike joy and delight at the simplest of things.
 

Gina now. :)

 
I would love to hear your answers to these four questions!  

There is no end to the adventures that we can have if only we seek them with our eyes open. -Nehru

 
Authentically Yours, Laura

No comments:

Post a Comment