Sunday, August 31, 2014

Simply Authentic...Your Soul Voice is Calling. When Others Doubt

When Others Doubt

Lately I have had several conversations with different people for whom what they have been doing (specifically in their job/profession) simply is not working anymore. These people have all known for some time that change was inevitable; it’s just a matter of time. Two of these people, both colleagues I met in a work environment whom I also consider friends, have opted to leave their current situations without what many might term a “safety net.” Both have long term partners who are wonderfully supportive, yet they are in different stages in their careers and work life. One plans to temp while she identifies a job she really wants in the right environment with the right people, and the other will take her nursing and business skills in a different direction that is more heart fulfilling.

I have taken leaps of faith like this myself, at least three times, throughout my career so far. I don’t consider myself a particularly courageous person. Some of the motorcycle rides my brother has gone on would probably make me throw up. There is no way I am jumping out of an airplane with a parachute, as my fiancé has done.

Yet I do know it takes courage to leave your comfort zone. The thing is…for most people the comfort zone has become so uncomfortable it feels like change is the only choice if you are to get out of bed in the morning and not pawn everything you own for a one way ticket to anywhere but here.

AND! Then you have to deal with other people in your life when you tell them, or they eventually learn, about your decision. If making the decision to take the leap of faith is difficult…say, like trying to photograph a giraffe in the wild in Africa…trying to explain why you have done so to people who profess to care about you (and probably really do)… can be like trying to saddle and ride the long-neck.

Very often people who come across as negative simply want what THEY feel is best for you. They don’t want you to be hurt if you fail. They most likely haven’t read Wayne Dyer’s 10 Secrets for Success and Inner Peace and learned about the myth of failure. As Dyer says, there is no such thing as failure. Everything we do simply produces a result.

If you make a chocolate soufflé and it falls the first time, do you whine and cry about being a failure as a chocolate soufflé maker? Or do you simply try the recipe again, a different recipe, or create your own, until you’ve made the soufflé you had envisioned?

If I had gone by the first batch of garlic dill pickles I made with my ex-husband when we had a garden and baby cucumbers, I’d be a lifetime failure as a pickle maker. They were so salty and soggy, I dumped all six quarts down the garbage disposal…except for the one I’d brought the neighbors, and they were grateful when I suggested the same to them! The next batch wasn’t salty enough, yet was crisper. The third batch was nearly perfect, if a tad heavy on the garlic.

Each batch was closer to the “dream pickle”, so to speak.

The same is true of whatever change and next move is calling to you. It doesn’t have to be perfect at the onset. Just take a step. Experience how it tastes, smells, and feels. If it isn’t quite right…tweak it. And then tweak it again.

I believe in you.

Authentically Yours,
 

Laura

3 comments:

  1. Once again I hear that echo of the Lost Boys in Never Land to Peter, "I believe in you." Love it! As for the naysayers, sometimes you just have to let them nay and be on your merry way. Thanks for the reminders!

    Love Ya!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome, Bell! Glad it resonated for you. :)

      Delete
    2. A lot of what you write resonates with me. I'm still working on being empowered. Maybe I'm depressed and in denial. Or maybe I just haven't felt enough pain. The scary part about that is I have a high pain threshold. My car broke down two weeks ago and is down for the count. Now, I'm having to rely on others to get me from point A to point B. That's creating some pain, the kind of pain I don't like. I live on the mountain and work in the valley so you can imagine how that has started to motivate me. Funny how that works.

      Delete